Am I There Yet?

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Birthday...

Today was a good day...

*****

When my siblings and I were kids, my mom would always wake us up on our birthdays with a candle we had that played "Happy Birthday" when you set it down. It was always my favorite part of my birthday...I'd usually be awake, but I'd pretend to be asleep so she could wake me up.

I've been having my mom call me at 7:15 every morning for the past few weeks to make sure I'm awake. I have an amazing ability to sleep through both of my alarm clocks, and it helps ensure I get up in time for work. (Obviously I'm a very mature adult.) This morning, I got up early at 6:45 and was almost ready to leave by the time she called.

I answered the phone, and she was singing "Happy Birthday." Nice start for the day. :o)

*****

My dad and I don't really talk on the phone often. Actually, the only phone calls from him I can remember in recent memory are when he called me in October to tell me my grandpa had passed away and when he called me after Christmas to thank me for the gift I gave him, when I didn't recognize his voice on the phone (third paragraph in linked post).

I was having a pretty bad day at work today; it seemed like everything that could possibly go wrong did. Around 1:30, I got a call on my cell from my parents' house. It was my dad...he had just gotten up for work and wanted to tell me happy birthday. We actually talked for about 20 minutes, which is the longest conversation I've ever had with him on the phone (excluding car repair discussions).

*****

My cousin Heather is staying with me this week while she's on spring break. When I got off work, she and my roommate (Julianne) took me out to dinner. They had the waiters sing to me...first time I've ever had that happen. I'm kind of surprised that I wasn't embarrassed; I just laughed the whole time.

When we got home, we had cheesecake (picture 22 candles in a 6-inch Sara Lee cheesecake) and I opened presents. Heather gave me a book and a DVD, and Julianne gave me a pillow shaped like a Reese's peanut butter cup package! Is it sad that it's like my favorite gift ever? :-D

*****

My brother Benjamin actually called me to tell me happy birthday...I don't think he's ever called me before. We had the most awkward 15-minute phone conversation ever. Then Sarah (mentioned here and here) called me and we talked for a while. It was good to talk to her, we haven't actually caught each other on the phone in at least a week.

*****

Also, I wasn't expecting very good weather at all; according to the forecast, it was supposed to be cloudy and snowing off and on all day. Instead, the day was mostly sunny with these random occasional snow showers. Very weird to see it snowing and sunny at the same time. Definitely helps with the winter doldrums!

*****

It's weird not to be 21 any more. It was just kind of a fun age to be. I have a feeling 22 will be just as fun, though! I love birthdays! :o)

11 Comments:

  • Happy Birthday Elizabeth! 22 huh? Wait until you're my age and see if you still love birthdays. I send you all my best wishes!

    By Blogger Ray, at March 09, 2005 1:07 AM  

  • Thanks, Ray! :o)

    I already felt a little old today. It's spring break at the college I work at, and there is some kind of high school speech competition going on this week. Every time I left my office all day I was surrounded by kids. Yikes.

    By Blogger Elizabeth, at March 09, 2005 1:49 AM  

  • Happy Birthday! What good timing that the first time I visit you, it's your birthday :) I'm glad you had a good day.

    By Blogger Jenny, at March 09, 2005 3:40 AM  

  • Happy Belated B-Day! Sorry I was one day late. Sounds like it was a good one though.

    Gosh, I'm 17 years older then you....I could be your daddy.

    By Blogger Mark Floyd-Thaut, at March 09, 2005 9:21 AM  

  • Happy Belated B-Day! Sorry I was one day late. Sounds like it was a good one though.

    Gosh, I'm 17 years older then you....I could be your daddy.

    By Blogger Mark Floyd-Thaut, at March 09, 2005 9:21 AM  

  • Happy birthday! It gets better the further along in your 20s you get. People take you more seriously, though I wouldn't mind rewinding a year and being 25 again! ;)

    By Blogger Jon, at March 09, 2005 4:20 PM  

  • Happy happy babydoll...
    For god'sake don't get old, bitter and jaded like us old queens. Leathery is what I do best now that I'm a dinosaur. I hope your day of days was super duper.
    k

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 09, 2005 5:03 PM  

  • Wow...thanks, everyone!

    I had a wonderful birthday (one of the best I've had since starting college), and I'm going home to see my family this weekend, so it should get even better. :o)

    And I should have you guys talk to my brother...he keeps calling me old. ;-)

    By Blogger Elizabeth, at March 09, 2005 8:34 PM  

  • A belated happy birthday -- Pisces, yes? I remember 22 was a good year -- it just gets better as you go along.

    By Blogger crumblord, at March 10, 2005 12:45 AM  

  • Thanks...I'm enjoying 22 so far!

    Yes, I'm a Pisces, although I have to admit to a lack of knowledge on anything about it.

    Life does seem to get better as time goes by, although it also seems to be moving faster. :o)

    By Blogger Elizabeth, at March 11, 2005 1:24 AM  

  • Good design!
    http://qgpjvulz.com/grcj/bmoq.html | http://kfaoshhn.com/gwpa/vwhg.html

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 19, 2006 4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home