Am I There Yet?

Monday, February 21, 2005

Blind Fools

I was trying to come up with a title for this post, and I couldn't decide between "Love is Blind" and "Fools in Love," so I decided to combine them. Not that I'm cynical or anything...

Sarah and Tim are fine. She came to visit this weekend; we had a great time. We finally talked about what had happened; I didn't want to call her while she was visiting him (they don't get to spend much time together, and I try to let them have their space) and she didn't call me to let me know what was going on.

His amazing excuse for the lack of celebration on V-Day? He forgot. Yes, despite the million commercials on TV and the radio, the decorations everywhere, and the fact that she came to visit him bringing gifts, he was apparently unaware that it was Valentine's Day.

I'm trying very hard to give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's not really working.

But they worked it out, and she forgave him, and he says it won't happen any more. Apparently during their "discussion" she cried...it was the first time he had seen her cry. It was quite effective. So we'll see how long this lasts.

Funny how it's easier to see stuff when you're on the outside. I know he must be a good guy if she really loves him, but it's hard to skip over the negative stuff like she does. I've seen him do insensitive things like this over and over again, and I keep telling myself that it's just that I'm a cynical person. Still, it's hard to ignore it when it seems like a pattern. This reminds me too much of when he canceled his plans to visit her on her birthday and didn't even send flowers.

So...I'm watching. And I'm waiting. And I'll notice when he makes mistakes.

Yes; I admit it. I'm totally overprotective. It's my right as an older sister! :o)


*****

The above can be the "Love is Blind" section. Now here's the "Fools in Love" part. As I mentioned before, Sarah came to visit me for the weekend. Now, Sarah lives with my parents in Munising, in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan (about 5-6 hours south of my parents). Tim lives in a small town in Illinois, about 3-4 hours south of me. Sarah visited him for a week, then came up to see me for the weekend, then planned on going home on Sunday.

We got a pretty bad snowstorm yesterday afternoon. Looking at the forecast, it was obvious that Sarah couldn't drive home, since the storm worsened as you moved north. She's always welcome at my apartment, and she had been staying for 2 nights, so I assumed that she'd stay with me another night and just head home this morning. She called Tim, and he said it wasn't snowing in Illinois.

So what does she do? The logical thing, of course. Drives almost 5 hours in the snow to see Tim again. Because of course she hasn't seen him in like 2 days and that's much too long. I've never been in love...never even been close, so I can't really say what I'd do in that situation myself. I'm just trying to remember that she's an adult (barely), and she's allowed to make these decisions for herself.

It's difficult to reconcile the overprotective older sister part of me with the part that knows she needs to make decisions on her own. I can't even imagine how parents must feel when they see their kids making stupid choices. I don't know if I ever plan on having children...guess I'm just using up whatever motherly feelings I have while I can. :o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home