Am I There Yet?

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Confession

I have a confession to make. I am addicted to American Idol.

I distinctly remember the first season of the show, mocking it and insisting that I would never watch it. Living in a college dorm at the time, I went down to the lounge to watch some tennis only to find a stupid girl watching the American Idol finals with her boyfriend. She was crying, which only intensified my disgust toward the show. I stayed down there, because the boyfriend agreed to watch tennis during commercials, disgusted by how blatantly they were dragging things out. The last 5 minutes of the show could have been all they showed, with exactly the same effect.

The next year I ended up living with a girl who was kind of like the one I had met in the lounge. I completely blame her for this addiction...we didn't miss an episode all season. I suppose I could have left the room or put headphones on, but those initial episodes, listening to people insist on their nonexistent talent, sucked me in. I just can't help but be entertained by people who still believe their parents when they say they are talented, regardless of what is being said by industry professionals. Don't they listen to themselves?

So this year, I was going to be really good and just avoid watching it from the beginning. I stayed kind of late at work on the day of the season premiere, and I walked in the door to my roommate, only to hear a very familiar theme song coming from the tv. Thus the tradition continues...

Elizabeth...out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home