Am I There Yet?

Friday, February 18, 2005

Home Sweet Home?

I got quite a surprise today. I was looking for some information on my hometown to post here to give a bit of a picture of where I come from. My hometown, a redneck paradise in the middle of nowhere with the stunning population of about 2,500 people, has a website. I believe it is the single ugliest website I have ever encountered online, but a website nonetheless. I'm just amazed these people know what the internet is.

I'm aware that Munising is a tourist destination. I have no idea WHY these tourists visit, but for some reason they do. They keep the economy moving and all that, but why on earth would anyone create a website singing the praises of this town? I can't imagine this site coming up in any search and someone actually considering a vacation here.

After the shock had worn off, I went back to the search results to see what other sites had come up in my quest to discover all the internet has to say about my hometown.

Apparently, some guy decided to move to Munising, and got so many questions regarding his decision that he decided to post an explanation on his website. When you need to create an entire page on your website dedicated to defending your decision on where you live, you might want to reconsider your location. Just a thought.

One of the places I've worked in Munising is Pictured Rocks Cruises. I worked in a gift shop and sold tickets for people to pay $27 to take a 2.5 hour boat ride and look at rocks. They actually have a webcam on their site where you can see their pier and the bay. Wow...pictures of an empty parking lot and a frozen bay. My excitement knows no bounds.

The internet is such fun. :o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home